Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Day Movie Soundtrack

February 7, 2010

Oh, yes, it’s almost that time to celebrate love, affection, and compassion. Get your shoebox mailboxes out and wait for someone to drop off that cute little valentine for you. While I’m waiting for this day to come, I’m listening to the Valentine’s Day Movie Soundtrack. Sure, sure, there are a lot of famous actors and actresses in the movie, but if by chance the movie doesn’t turn out as well as all us ladies hoped, maybe we can have some decent music to listen to from it.

Last year, Kanye didn’t let her speak, but here she starts off the album with an upbeat country love song comparing life to a fairytale. “Today Was a Fairytale,” is a song by Taylor Swift, who by the way plays a role in the movie (previews show her as a young, crazy cheerleader). “Can you feel this magic in the air, it musta been the way you kissed me.” She doesn’t only contribute one song to the album, but two! Track 13, “Jump then Fall,” is another Taylor Swift song where she tries to convince a man to fall in love with her, yes, another one. Not bad though, I’m starting to get used to her sad story love songs with happy endings.

Oh, you’re ready to shake your hips you say? This song, “Say Hey (I love you)” by Michael Franti and Spearhead, is a song with a dancehall reggae vibe. If you’ve heard this song once, you know exactly what song I’m talking about. Be careful playing this song while you’re driving.

Willy Nelson, sings a classic, jazzy, swing song, “On the Street where you live,” originally by Nat King Cole. Not typically Willy’s style, but different isn’t always bad. It starts off with some guitar, and then straight into piano and bass. Speaking of Nat King Cole, he graces the album with his presence for Spanish song “Te Quiero Dijiste.” I love Spanish music! It means, “’I love you,’ you said.” It’s a beautiful song too. Contact me if you want me to translate it for you.

Saulsalito Foxtrot provides us with a cute cover of Buddy Holly’s “Everyday,” and after, Jewel sings a song called “Stay Here Forever.” Her voice doesn’t have that yoddle anymore. Kinda makes me sad.

Next, Amy Winehouse puts a jazzy/soul spin off of Sam Cooke’s “Cupid.” Maroon 5 sings “The Way You Look Tonight,” which included a lot of horns and a swing beat. If you ever wanted to hear a real upbeat version of the song here it is. It’s exciting, but a lot different than Frank Sinatra’s. This version though, only seems like a perfect fit for the movie. Diane Birch sings an optimistic but wishful love song called “Valentino.” “Oh Valentino, my tears don’t show, oh but honey they flow.”

This next “musician” on the album is Queen B in Gossip Girl. Leighton Meester, or “Blair Waldorf.” Seriously, I saw her on a Christmas album and she ruined my favorite Holiday song. I think she should stick to being that rich girl on the CW, personally. Along with Robin Thicke she sings “Someobody to Love.” I don’t really believe it’s her, she sounds weird, and not to mention the beat and lyrics. “But wait, now how long could this take? It’s hard to find a man, when you’re gone before he wakes, they say it’s hard to achieve But can’t a girl believe?” I’m not sure if I’m just judging her since she does the one thing I hate famous people doing, switching medias. It’s different if you’re good at it, but anyway….

Stevie Wonder’s “Sign Sealed Delievered I’m Yours” shows up on the album, but by Anju Yamapriyam. This version is sped up, high-pitched, and kind of obnoxious. Also featuring artists like, Jools Holland and Jamiroquai, Ben E King, Joss Stone, Black Gold, and Steel Magnolia, this album hits all different genres and would make for a decent Valentine’s Day mix. If you’re a girl who wants to hear lovey-dovey songs all week this week to get you pumped for the special Hallmark holiday, maybe you should buy this album. Or guys, buy this for your girlfriend by Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment