Friday, February 12, 2010

Lady Antebellum Need You Now




It’s only been two years since this trio’s last self-titled album. Most country fans know Lady Antebellum from hit singles, “love Don’t Live Here Anymore,” and “I Run to You.” Sophomore album, “Need You Now” was released Jan. 26, while the title track hit the charts in August and rose to the top through October and November. One thing I love about Lady Antebellum is that they are one of the only country bands that I know that write a majority of their own music.

Oh, remember those nights where you wake up the next day and check your call log? Maybe you were thinking about an ex way too much while a night of drinking, and you need to make sure you didn’t make any bad decisions. “Need You Now,” is a song about missing someone, and calling in search of a little T.L.C. “I wonder if I every cross your mind. For me it happens all the time. It’s a quarter after one, I’m a little drunk and I need you now.” Yeah, we’ve all had those nights!

Starting the next song with some low piano and a highly enthusiastic exclamation from Charles Kelley, “Our Kind of Love” is a song that compares love to everyday joys. “Hello World” is a mellow song that Kelley took control over vocally, while a symphony was being built up in the background.

A song to make everyone happy, “Perfect Day,” written by the trio again along with Jerry Flowers, starts off with deep, rock guitar that plays softly throughout the background while the country twang picks up again. “It was a perfect day
What I’d give if I could find a way to stay lost in this moment, now
Ain’t worried about tomorrow when you’re busy livin’ in a perfect day.” With lyrics like this combined with Scott’s vocals, you can’t help but smile – or hit the back button to listen to it again!

Well, I know it’s hard but after a “Perfect Day,” something has to go wrong. For example, you have a clearly, not mutual crush. It can be painful, can’t it? “Something about her, it just don’t work. But I can’t walk away. It’s like I love this pain.” Although it’s not an extremely positive song, the beat is tremendously appealing. Again, Kelley starts off with an energetic “Come on!” to get all of us country fans pumped up. “Love This Pain,” sung by Kelley, provides our ears with catchy guitar and relatable lyrics.

“When You Got A Good Thing,” is a slower, sappier, love song with a traditional country twang. There aren’t too many of these on this CD. Near the end an intense guitar solo was used to fade out the song. Maybe it was to pump us up for, “Stars Tonight,” where Kelley and Scott alternate singing. Reaching the chorus, you hear a few chantable yeahs until Kelley picks it up again. Rather than singing about stars in the sky they are singing about us being stars! You heard it, us. Now all of us can have our 5 minutes of fame with this one. “On the floor, in the stands, tonight we’re all in the band. We’re screaming out yeah, yeah, yeah.”

“If I Knew Then,” takes us back to that traditional country, sappy song. I feel bad because I lose interest with these ones. With only about four of them on the album, I should be lucky. While Kelley sings about how many times he blew his chance with a girl, even mentioning a time in the back of his car where he took it too far, he mentions, “If I knew then, what I know now I’d fall in love.”

It’s hard to imagine Charles Kelley being related to a pop singer (Josh Kelley) when he’s got such a southern voice. “Something About A Woman” really allows Kelley to express his southern voice. Written by the trio along with the help of Craig Wiseman, Kelley takes full control of vocals for this song. No worries though, Scott hops in on the next song with the power now, and you almost forgot how nice her voice is. “I’m ready to feel now, no longer am I afraid of the fall down, It must be time to move on now, Without the fear of how it might end, I guess I’m ready to love again.”

Overall the album was a solid, alternative country album. With outstanding guitar playing and only minimal twangy instruments, you almost forget that these three are part of a country band. Well that is, until they start singing. With voices and lyrics that stand out, and are so original, it’s hard to pass up this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment